Disclaimer:

The contents of this web site are ours personally and do not reflect any position of the U.S. Government or the US Peace Corps.

Sunday, December 12, 2010

Sorrel

I mentioned sorrel in my last post and I'm following up with some pictures of my latest attempt at making this traditional Grenadian holiday drink. Sorrel reminds me a little of apple cider; it's spicy, you can drink it hot or cold and it smells amazing.


Here is a close up shot of the flowers. I bought these in the market for about $5 EC or about $2 US.


To make sorrel:
Put the sorrel and any spices you want to use (I used bay leaves, cloves, cinnamon and fresh ginger) in a pot. Cover with two few inches of water. Bring to a boil, then cover and simmer for 15-20 minutes. Add brown sugar to taste and let the flowers and spices continue to steep overnight (if you can wait.)
Strain the juice and enjoy. You can also add some rum to make it extra festive :)


The spices I added to my sorrel 
(cinnamon, bay leaves, cloves and ginger.)

Simmering away.

No comments:

Post a Comment